Life, the Loonyverse and Everything

Thoughts about life in the UK, the state of the world, governmental and commercial intrusion into our lives and anything else that takes my fancy. All from the point of view of a UK guy in his fifties trying to make ends meet in a world where business determines your quality of life.

29 April 2006

Music Download Services

I used to be a Napster member until earlier this year. After problems getting my purchased tracks to work after an update to Windoze Mee-ja Player and disliking the rip-off high prices for tracks here in the UK along with the subscription tie-in to have access to these tracks I decided to give it up. I only mention Napster here because that's the one that I've used, but I'm pretty sure that most of this applies to other download services.

Now, if I want an album I buy the CD online through CD-WOW or Play.com. That way I can experience the music the way I always used to - I can play it in the car, in any HiFi anywhere in the world and whilst out walking on a personal player, either as a CD or ripped to MP3 files. I get the sleeve notes, photos, and lyrics (where provided). I also have the satisfaction of a tangible object I can hold in my hand which by its existence is proof that I own the CD. If my mate wants to hear it I can lend it to him. I get the full quality of the original recording, not compressed with detail removed unless I choose to rip it myself - in which case I can make my own choice of format and compression against file size. I'm not limited to the brand or model of HiFi I use to play it on. The only issue that can happen is where copy-protection attempts to stop me listening to the CD on a computer - in which case it is not a Compact Disc Digital Audio format and will be returned for a full refund. If that fails it's time to contact Trading Standards.

Contrast this with music download services. The music is only available compressed - convenient for downloading maybe. Those people who download music to their phones - why? - are being ripped off even more, as the compression is so great to reduce the file size that the quality suffers even more. You get no tangible product for your money, no band photos, sleeve notes or lyrics. No details of the recording and production personnel, the locations, the other musicians, the songwriters - the list goes on. I'm tied to which computer(s) I can listen to it on and have to buy the right portable players that support the WMF format. I can't use the online services without using Windoze, IE(ugh!) and its awful Mee-ja Player. My fully capable and far more secure Firefox browser and choice of music software don't get a look-in. I can't use a non-Windoze computer - why should I pay Bill Gates just so I can access a music download service? If my computer has to be replaced or reinstalled - not unusual with Windoze - I have to apply for permission to get access to the music I have purchased.

I rarely buy anything other than full albums - I only have two CD singles in my collection. I have found on many occasions that the cost of downloading an album can be more than having the CD delivered to my door. The cost of a track bears no relationship to the playing time, so small 20 second linking tracks on an album like Tommy, the rock opera by The Who, cost as much as the 3 minute tracks, and add to the total track count and therefore the cost. On Napster some artists are not available at all, some are only partly available, and worse still, not all tracks on some albums are available! I would have purchased Quadrophenia, another rock opera by The Who, last year but gave up when I realised that many of the tracks on the full album were not available for download. Again it was cheaper - and more complete - to buy the CD online than to download.

I can see that buying individual tracks might appeal to kids with a limited budget, but what is the sense in artists producing an album of tracks if no-one gets to listen to them and hear their other styles and ideas - sometimes the other album tracks are better than or at least as good as the singles. I have to admit that in my collection 13 by Blur is the exception to the rule - the singles are excellent, the rest stinks! But over time I will listen to these tracks again and I will find that there's more on there that I like, but without the full album I would never have the chance to know.

Just because I rip the tracks from my CD collection does not mean that I am a pirate - I don't sell, give away or otherwise distribute the tracks. I object to being treated like a criminal by copy-protection systems that break the CD-DA format, limit my use of the music I chose to buy and have been known to adversely affect the security or stability of the computers they are used on (e.g. Sony's recent problems).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home